And The Winner Is...

 

It’s been a journey with many twists and turns as I decided between replacing my car or using rideshare services. In the end, I decided to get another car for two reasons:


  1. I have an aging parent, and I want to be readily available for her; and

  2. I know myself. What I mean is I have a tendency to be very frugal, and I can see myself overanalyzing each time I would plan to use a rideshare service and potentially talk myself out of doing things that would be beneficial just to save money.


In my last post, I did a cost-benefit analysis and determined I would save approximately $7,000 over the course of 10 years by not buying a car. Ironically, the car I ended up getting was about $7,000 less than what I had budgeted, so I ended up in a win-win situation with a new car and the flexibility it’ll provide.


There were some interesting synchronicities that led to this decision. A friend and fellow writer suggested I pull some tarot cards for guidance. As I began to lean towards purchasing a car, I decided that if I pulled The Chariot card that would be a sign that I should buy a car. Minutes after having that thought, I was watching a tarot reading on YouTube, and the reader pulled The Chariot card and said, “If you’re ready to purchase a new car, here it comes!” A couple hours later, I was reading a fiction book I recently borrowed from the library, and the main character was talking about her Toyota Corolla, which was the exact vehicle I wanted to get. I told the universe I could take a hint, and I got my money situated and contacted the local Toyota dealership.


This is where things seemingly went sideways but in the end led me to saving $7,000. Over the phone I was told they could order what I wanted if I wasn’t in a rush, which I wasn’t. I met with a salesman who was playing the typical games some car salespeople play. I knew exactly what I wanted and figured I just needed to play along while sticking to my plan and what I was willing to pay. Not only was he trying to push another model car on me that I didn’t want, but at one point he told me he couldn’t guarantee I’d get what I ordered without the $1,340 “convenience package” because that’s how the factory’s making all the cars these days, which I suspected was untrue. While I was there I also test drove a used Corolla since they didn’t have any new ones available.


The salesman said he preferred to communicate via text, so the following day I made a reasonable offer on a new Corolla that was due to arrive in a month or so. I received no response, which felt rude and unprofessional. A day after I sent my text, I was able to verify that what he told me was indeed a lie, and I was fuming. But at that point I had decided to look into purchasing a certified pre-owned Corolla since the used one I test drove was quite nice, and I’m a low mileage driver now that I’m retired. 


The nearest dealer with certified Toyotas was about 25 miles away, and they had one in the exact model and color I wanted. My experience at the second dealership was vastly better. They offered me $500 more for my trade in, dropped a few hundred off the asking price, and were straightforward and polite in their dealings. A few days after placing a deposit on the vehicle, I was able to drive it home.


After sealing the deal on the certified Corolla, I texted the first salesman again to let him know I knew he lied to me, that another dealership was getting my business, and I would be telling everyone I knew about my experience. Funny, he responded to that text!


So now I’m the happy owner of a gently used Toyota Corolla in a beautiful powdery blue color with gray interior. I feel less anxious driving a newer car which also has all sorts of modern gadgets and safety systems that my 2011 Honda did not. A combination of logic, research, listening to my intuition, and following the signs I was given led me to the ideal solution.

Have you ever had an experience where you were guided to the right thing at the right time? I’d love to hear your stories in the comments!

Comments