The Spending Spree

 


This frugal minimalist has just gone on the largest spending spree of her entire life. Am I ditching my adopted lifestyle and becoming a maximalist? Have I been converted from a saver to a spender? Nope, I’m still a frugal minimalist who is navigating some very unusual circumstances.


As I mentioned in my last post, I’ve been going through a major life change which resulted in moving twice, buying a home, and needing to outfit and furnish my new home all in the span of less than 5 weeks. I also decided to have central A/C installed due to health and comfort concerns. All included, I spent approximately $90K: house, A/C, washer and dryer, furniture, and housewares. Considering I was giving myself a $150K budget just for a house or condo itself, I’m very pleased.


I’m also quite amazed at how quickly everything happened - finding the right house for me at the right price, as well as easily finding the items I needed and wanted to furnish it. The universe was definitely on my side, and I also credit my increased reliance on following my intuition and internal guidance. It’s truly been magical.


I did have to return a few things I purchased, either because they didn’t aesthetically work in the space or weren’t needed after all, but considering the number of items I purchased in a small space of time, I’m pretty impressed that I got it right mostly on the first try. In addition to fulfilling needs, I also fulfilled some wants, with a little whimsy thrown in.



The entire process of moving, looking for homes, and purchasing items was quite an adrenaline filled experience and exhausting at times, and now I’m glad to be getting into a quieter time of life where I can resume routines and begin new ones. I didn’t go overboard spending, yet after all the decisions and spending that occurred so quickly I’m glad to be done with it. I fulfilled the need to have a safe, comfortable, and pleasant home for Bella and me, and now it’s time for this new life chapter to unfold.



What’s next? Now that I have a new homebase established and a revised budget in place, I plan to resume some personal projects that fell to the wayside in the interim. Since I’m living in a new-to-me part of town, I have a growing list of places to explore. I’m also taking time to reflect and decide what other new opportunities and experiences I would like to have going forward. I’m excited for the future, both for the newness and space to relax and enjoy my new life.

Comments