Low Buy Year 6-Month Check-In


On January 1, 2022, I began what I call my Healthy Low Buy Year. I include the word "healthy" because the primary goal of this challenge is to improve my health, both physically and financially. Since I'm a little over halfway through the challenge, I thought it would be a good time to assess my progress and see if I need to make any changes or improvements going forward.


Here’s a quick overview of my rules/guidelines for the Healthy Low Buy Year:


  • Use up what you have

  • Streamline errands/driving trips (Goal: once per week)

  • Groceries: Only healthy necessities/basics that fit Paleo diet

  • Eating Out: Only when traveling or meeting family/friends; eat Paleo as much as possible

  • Hobbies: Purchase materials only when all current projects are completed, materials on hand are used up, and I have a clear idea what's needed for the next project

  • Clothing: Necessary replacements only

  • Toiletries: Necessary replacements only

  • Exceptions: Extra of consumable necessities may be purchased to meet online order minimums; store rewards that expire may be used


If you’re interested in all the nitty gritty details, read My 2022 Healthy Low Buy Year.


What’s Been Easy?

By far, not buying clothes has been the easiest goal to maintain. I’ve even donated a few clothing items that I no longer use. There have been a few brief moments when I’m walking past the clothing area in a store and I’ve thought about browsing, but I catch myself quickly and redirect my focus to my shopping list. One reason I think this is an easy goal to maintain is that it’s very clear cut: don’t buy anything unless you absolutely have to, a.k.a. only in an emergency. Also, I’m not much of a fashionista and prefer classic styles that last for years. In addition, using up what I have, hobby materials, and toiletries have been easy goals to maintain.


I’ve streamlined errands and driving trips as much as possible, meaning most weeks I don’t drive more than once per week, although some weeks it’s been unavoidable. I work on an on-call basis; there have been family events to attend; occasionally I’ve needed to give rides to help others; and these things have at times caused me to take my car out more than once in a week. With gas prices being what they are this year, it’s been even more incentive to consolidate car trips. I consider my progress with this goal to be successful since I plan my outings as much as is feasible. I knew going in that unexpected things would come up, so driving only once per week is not absolute but an ideal goal to strive for. 


Most Challenging

Groceries and eating out are the only categories I haven’t mentioned yet, and yep, food has been the most challenging part of this project. The first few months of this year went fairly well, with only a few exceptions. But as time wore on it became harder to hold true to my low buy in the food categories.


The first time I broke the “eating out only when traveling or meeting family/friends” rule was in May. I didn’t even realize I broke the rule until later that day after I made the purchase, perhaps because I was so excited about the place I stumbled across. It was a local yoga studio with a coffee and tea bar. Everything they offered was made in-house, and most items were paleo friendly. It is so rare to come across a shop that serves food and drink that align with my diet, so I think I temporarily lost my mind! The latte and prana balls were delicious and healthy, so I don’t regret the purchase. It was the eating out purchases after that which were unnecessary.


Late May and June is when the backsliding with food really began to set in. There were some celebratory events where I ate some foods with cane sugar, I bought some paleo processed foods at the grocery store, and my partner and I ate out at restaurants a few times. Although I’m not pleased with many of these choices, it has led me to some realizations that I believe will help me do better going forward.


I had consumed virtually no cane sugar until late May, and although it tastes delicious in the moment, I don’t feel well afterwards. It also makes me crave more sugar. This is one of the many reasons I decided to cut most sugars out of my diet, and my poor choices have once again proven why I need to avoid it. As for the paleo processed food, I initially forgot I wasn’t going to buy any (it fit my diet, right?), but when I eventually did remember I still purchased more. Most of these foods I can make at home for much less expense.


As far as eating out with my partner, we had a heartfelt and honest conversation about it. Originally he was going to participate in the eating out challenge with me, but then he changed his mind, so earlier this year there were a number of times when he ate out and I didn’t, and a couple times he treated and paid for my meal so I could stick to the challenge. But as my resolve with food during May and June began to weaken, I started eating out with him. It was just easier to go along, especially if it was a restaurant that I liked. I was also afraid of feeling awkward sitting at a restaurant and not ordering anything, and I didn’t want to disappoint my partner by telling him I didn’t want to eat out. My partner assured me I wouldn’t be letting him down if I chose not to eat out, and I feel empowered to say no now that we’ve talked it through.


When I deviate from the foods I know are good for me, it affects how I feel as well as my health. I’m trying new recipes, ones that I’ve created and some that I’ve found online, that are healthy, inexpensive, and easy to make. These will help me make better food choices for myself going forward, especially when I like what I make at home better than what restaurants can offer.


Frustrations

Nothing is more frustrating than unexpected expenses during a low buy. For me it was multiple vet bills for my cat and necessary car repair. I would’ve preferred not to spend money on these things, but they weren’t optional. On top of that, the U.S. and much of the world has been experiencing extraordinary levels of inflation this year, so nearly everything is more expensive than it used to be.


Going Forward

Have I been having a low buy year? Mostly. Aside from food, I’ve been very pleased with how I’m doing. The food categories haven’t been a complete disaster, but they need improvement. I’m not giving up on the low buy and I’m not changing the rules, but I am resetting my mindset to help me be successful for the rest of this year and ideally adopt these habits for the future.


Lessons Learned

  • Remember how good I feel when I eat foods that agree with my body and how poorly I feel when I eat foods that don’t.

  • It’s okay to say no.

  • Talk with a trusted person and/or journal when I’m struggling to meet my goals.

  • Only stock the pantry and fridge with healthy and tasty food.

  • Try a new recipe when I’m tempted to buy or eat something I shouldn’t.

  • And most important: In the present moment you can choose to start again.

Comments