Spending Time vs. Money

 

Earlier this year I was in a big box store doing some grocery shopping. As I walked by the clothing area I considered taking a look, but then I remembered I’m not buying any clothes this year unless it’s an absolute necessity. What was interesting and surprising to me was the relief I felt when I realized I didn’t have to look at the clothes. It was so freeing to not have to spend my time and attention trying to find a random clothing item that I didn’t even need. That has been my biggest revelation thus far during my low buy year.


Although I still have to shop for groceries, necessary household items, and the occasional gift, it’s truly wonderful not having to shop often. It frees me from stressful decision making and allows me more time to do other things. Think about all the fun, relaxing, and/or creative things you could do with more free time while saving money:


  • Spend time with family, friends, and pets, in person or online

  • Explore old or new hobbies, such as walking/hiking, yoga, biking, gardening, reading, bird watching, cooking, arts and crafts, listening to or playing music, writing

  • Research a new topic of interest

  • Meditate, daydream, or relax at home or in nature

  • Attend free events offered by your local library, town or city, or use Meetup.com to find others who share your interests

  • “Shop” your local library for books, audiobooks, newspapers, magazines, DVDs, music, and digital content; some have specialty items you can borrow such as video games, board games, and park/zoo/museum admission passes


If you’re looking for more ideas, there are plenty of online articles with long lists of free or almost free activities to give you further inspiration. Have fun with it! Make it a game or personal challenge to see how little money you can spend while living an enjoyable and fulfilling life.


The next time you’re about to spend money, pause to consider if it’s a necessary expense. If not, choose to spend your time instead. Do something fun, interesting, or meaningful - it will be more fulfilling in the long run, and you’ll have the added benefit of saving money as well.

Comments

  1. Thank you for your time, energy & thoughts in this lastest blog! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, shopping as recreation is something that many people should think twice about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment